Thursday, November 09, 2006

Old Fashioned Government

Being in a Journalism School, we are supposed to do some stories every week. My mentor wants me to do two stories this week; I am left to decide the content for my stories. Well before I go any further, I must write a disclaimer. I neither want to sound bookish nor want to sound like some author. I would write the way I normally write. Most of the times, I don't write, but scribble. Well let me move from confessions.
So I started thinking what stories to do, flipping through the days newspaper, I saw that the police is Chennai recently raided a three star pub. The reason given by the police was, pub flouting timeline set by the Prohibition & Excise Department.
It is sad, but true that even though we all live in a free country, we are not free when it comes to deciding on things that we actually want to do. Well I must talk about the Indian ministers; they change colours with the surroundings. When addressing youth, they are all in for the liberalisation. But on the other hand, when they address the elders in the community, they blame it all on the Western Countries. India, today is the back office for the world, and that’s something accepted by all and China the factory for the World.
I myself worked in the BPO Industry for nearly 3 years, and I feel that if Indian Government wants to attract foreign players, it need to think about various things. It can’t simply ignore the Western ways of doing things. Cities like Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai are adapting themselves to the changing scene and the taste of people.
Just yesterday, by chance I met a Danish Journalist, Tommy Brandi Krog. I asked him just one question “What do you think about the operational restrictions on Pubs and Bars in Chennai?” to which he answered “Well, Government in here, is old fashioned whereas people are not”. A very interesting point indeed, we are the ones who select a party to govern us. But when I say we, am I really addressing the people? Well I don’t think so. People that Tommy talked about are people of my age group which is 20-25. So I got my answer and that too in a tone which sounded like a warning for the TN Government, “You better mend your ways, or no more business for you.” (**To whomsoever it may concern**)
Today I had the privilege of interviewing Mr. Sandeeprai Rathore, Joint Commissioner of Police (JCP) for Chennai Central. He got furious when I used the word moral policing. He claimed that there exists no moral policing at any level. Adding on to that he claimed that they are least bothered about what people wear. Ok!! Mr Rathore, your point taken, he doesn’t even know that some guests at the hotel that was raided were misbehaved with by his men. Anyways I lost Mr. Rathore, who can win Police in India. “If police is lenient in these matters, then press will say that the Hotel owners greased my palms” hmmm. So Mr. Policeman is afraid of Press. I kept wondering, what if there were no press?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home